How do you turn a side hustle into a 2-billion-dollar business? This might sound too good to be true, but it happened when Spencer Jan started his e-commerce business
How do you turn a side hustle into a 2-billion-dollar business? This might sound too good to be true, but it did happen when Spencer Jan started his e-commerce business, which he started in a garage in 2010 with only $15,000. Called Solo Stove then, the business eventually grew into Solo Brands and in 2021, raised $219 million through an IPO (NYSE: DTC).
Listen and enjoy!
Listen to the podcast here:
Download the audio file here.
How to Build a $2-Billion Company From Your Garage — with Spencer Jan
After a decade of starting and growing eCommerce businesses and having successfully exited the daily operations of Solo Stove, Spencer is now on a mission to helping other eCommerce entrepreneurs find success.
[00:01 – 05:43] Opening Segment
- I launched a new podcast about exiting your business
- Link below
- Let’s get to know Spencer Jan
- How he started a future $2-billion business
[05:44 – 15:27] Bootstrapping an Ecommerce Business
- How Spencer spent his $15,000 investment
- Why bootstrapping can jumpstart an entrepreneurial endeavor
- The reason Spencer is passionate about eCommerce
[15:28 – 25:57] Growing an Ecommerce Business
- The importance of the customers in growing an eCommerce business
- The lessons that eCommerce business owners will learn
- How to capitalize on calculated risks and avoid careless mistakes
[25:58 – 35:30] Exiting a Business
- The hard part of being an entrepreneur according to Spencer
- Having this foundation will make decision-making easier
- The right time to exit a business
[35:31 – 42:54] Going Back to the End Goal
- What to do next after exiting the business
- Why people should at least try entrepreneurship
- Connect with Spencer
- Links below
[42:55 – 46:34] Closing Segment
- Spencer shares his outlook on the eCommerce industry
- Know more about Spencer with these rapid-fire questions!
- Final announcements
“Bootstrapping is a viable path to entrepreneurship.” – Spencer Jan
“You really have to love your customers. You really have to be able to connect with them.” – Spencer Jan
Connect with Spencer
About Spencer Jan
Spencer Jan is the co-founder of Solo Stove, an eCommerce company that was started in 2010 as a side hustle in a garage with only 15K. Solo Stove grew into Solo Brands and in 2021, raised $219M through an IPO (NYSE: DTC) giving the company he started in a garage a valuation of over $2 BILLION dollars! After a decade of starting and growing eCommerce businesses and having successfully exited the daily operations of Solo Stove, he is now turning his focus to helping other eCommerce entrepreneurs find success.