Everybody knows that company culture is important, but that’s a lot different from actually building a culture that sticks, makes your business better, and gives your employees a sense of mission. How can you build a meaningful and deep-rooted company culture that will also make your business stronger and more successful? Mike Beckham, the co-founder, and CEO of Simple Modern has created one of the most successful drinkware companies on the planet while also fostering a mission-based culture. In this episode of Let’s Talk Business, Meny asks Mike about the secrets of his success, the ways we can all inculcate a positive and productive culture in our companies, what entrepreneurs need to look at when trying to start a company, and much more.
Mike Beckham is the co-founder and CEO of Simple Modern, one of the largest and most successful drinkware companies in the world. He also helped found several e-commerce businesses which have together generated over a billion dollars in revenue and has been involved both in the for-profit and nonprofit sectors.
Listen and enjoy!
Listen to the podcast here:
Download the audio file here.
Building a Mission-Based Company Culture with Mike Beckham of Simple Modern
[00:01 – 14:45] Opening Segment
• Mike shares his backstory and career path leading up to founding the company – Simple Modern
• The importance of a company’s mission is something that is often overlooked but is essential in order for it to be successful
- Mission-driven companies are more beneficial to society than those without a sense of purpose
• It is the leader’s responsibility to create an environment in which their team can thrive and achieve their goals
[14:46 – 29:44] How to Create a Culture that’s Idealistic & Practical
• Diversity is good when it comes to having different perspectives and skill sets, but can be unhelpful when values are different
• A company with shared values and a shared mission will be stronger than one with diverse values or no values at all
- Having core values and focusing on a mission helps to create a culture that is self-fulfilling and attracts employees who share those values
• Why a company’s culture cannot be created without deep convictions from the leader about what they believe in
• How Simple Modern uses transparency to attract and retain ton talent
[29:45 – 44:32] Transparent Leaders Build Trust
• Transparency is the exercise of allowing other people to see what you’re thinking
• When you build a culture where both relationally and organizationally, people are transparent, trust is fostered
- Leaders should be transparent about their weaknesses and get feedback from team members to improve
• The mindset for a startup entering a new market is to look at the best players in the space
- See where players may be white space that they can enter
[44:33 – 1:00:50] Closing Segment
• How to create a long-term sustainable competitive advantage
• Mike on the rapid-four questions
• Q&A: How can I figure out the best way to use the money to maximize its effect on growing my business?
“The world doesn’t need another water ball company, but the world definitely needs more mission-driven companies.” – Mike Beckham
“I want to be in environments that add to my quality of life, where I am working with other people who are trying to be about the same things and are trying to accomplish the same mission.” – Mike Beckham
“Great founders and great cultures, start with deep convictions.” – Mike Beckham
About Mike Beckham
Mike Beckham is the co-founder and CEO of Simple Modern, one of the largest and most successful drinkware companies in the world. Mike also helped found several e-commerce businesses which have together generated over a billion dollars in revenue and has been involved both in the for-profit and nonprofit sectors. He teaches entrepreneurship at the University of Oklahoma.
This season of the podcast is sponsored by: